Do You Need An Ophthalmologist For Your Droopy Eyelid?

You see your eye doctor on the regular to keep your eye health in check. An optometrist is an eye doctor who checks on your overall eye health, while ophthalmology revolves around more serious eye care needs, such as dealing with blurry vision, correcting cross or wandering eyes, and doing surgery on droopy eyelids and other conditions. Often, your eye doctor and a fellow ophthalmologist may work together to help treat your vision needs.

You may have a droopy eyelid, defined by having an eyelid that hangs lower than it should, impairing your vision or making your eyes look uneven. Known medically as ptosis, a droopy eyelid can affect just one eye but is not discriminatory as both eyes can be affected. A droopy eyelid can be treated and may cause you to be referred to an ophthalmologist if the condition is bad enough.

Nearly anyone can be susceptible to getting a droopy eyelid, and seeing a professional for care can help you determine what treatments are needed, if necessary. Do you need to see an ophthalmologist for your droopy eyelid? Use this guide to assist you.

Your condition is very noticeable

A slightly uneven droopy eyelid that you barely notice may not even be cause for concern and may only be something you notice when your optometrist points it out during your exam. If your droopy eyelid is getting worse or is very noticeable, however, you may want to ask for a referral to an ophthalmologist to see what can be done for your condition.

Your condition is causing vision problems

Is your droopy eyelid making it hard for you to focus or causing other vision problems? This can be a particular concern if you have a droopy eyelid on both eyes, and your vision is limited in any way. If you cannot see looking straight ahead or if you have problems with peripheral vision and you think your droopy eyelid is to blame, see an ophthalmologist.

Eye exercises can help a droopy eyelid improve, although getting eyelid surgery is usually the best treatment for this condition. What your ophthalmologist will do is this: they will lift the lid to tighten up the muscles that keep the eyelid high, called levator muscles.

If having droopy eyelids is causing you pain, discomfort, or other issues, see your eye doctor right away. Your eye doctor can refer you to an ophthalmology eye care center.